Permanent Residency

Permanent Residency is an important part of migration. To determine if one is eligible for PR migration or how soon after arriving in Australia one is eligible to apply for be nominated is complex. 457 visa holders seeking PR have several options. The 3 main options if the main applicant is under age 50 is:

  • Independent Skilled migration (points based, occupation must be on the SOL or CSOL (sch 1) lists
  • Employer Nomination through the Temporary Resident Transition (TRT)¬†pathway (having worked for the sponsor in the nominated occupation for at least 2 years)
  • Employer Nomination through Direct Entry (DE)¬†pathway (having worked in the occupation for at least 3 of the last 5 years – includes off shore workexperience)
  • The DE and TRT pathways require employer nomination for PR (a separate process to the PR visa application)
  • TRT does not require a skills assessment, but DE does.
  • English proficiency evidence will be required unless exempted (Ministers of Religion, at least high income threshold, passports from certain countries, etc.)

Points based migration:

  • Points are earned for age, English competency, occupation (must be on the SOL or CSOL (sch 1) lists), work experience onshore and off shore, state sponsorship, family sponsorship, spouse’s occupation/age/English competency.

Aged 50 and older

  • Temporary visa holders (i.e. 457 visa) has to satisfy the age exemption criteria. This means having worked for your sponsor in the nominated occupation for at least 4 years, and having earned at least $129 300 per year for each of the 4 years, before being eligible for PR nomination. This puts PR out of reach of many. It is therefore imperative to try and get PR before turning 50.


2 thoughts on “Permanent Residency

  1. Dear Joey/team,

    We are looking into the possibility of immigrating to Australia. We need assistance please – we dont know what where or how!

    Where do we start?

    I am a lecturer at the Hotel School at the Central University of Technology in Bloemfontein, SA. My husband has his own business (Chipboard Express) in Bloem. I have two sons ( 3 yrs and 1 year old).

    We would like to go to Queensland – I would like to stay working at a University so we are looking at Brisbane.

    I have seen a job for which I would like to apply for (at Queensland University of Technology).

    Your advice would be great please.

    Kind regards,

    Grethe Muller
    0027 83 420 5041

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.