The Citizenship legislation provides for several eligibility options, waivers, and exemptions.
Under the general eligibility, if you are aged 18 and older you must:
- Be in Australia for 4 years and
- Hold at least permanent residency for 12 months and
- Not have been offshore for 12 months or more cumulatively in the 4 years, and
- Not have been offshore for more than 90 days cumulatively in the 12 months prior to citizenship application.
- Children under age 16 do not have to satisfy the general residency requirement.
- (you could not have been unlawful at any time during the 4 yrs; if you were granted a border visa, please discuss your circumstances with us)
Contact us to discuss your specific circumstances. Note, the Citizenship Act provides for exemptions, waivers and concessions. The above only relates to the general residency requirements.